kJS

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Kenny goes to Berlin

Still catching up!  This post is my journey to Berlin.

Find the gate for the plane to Denver.
Document the machine, evidence for the investigators if something goes wrong.
Arrive in Denver, collect bags, re-check.  Locate security check, approach.
Then there was some time to wander around the airport.  This was a nice way to make a strange hallway to an older part of the airport a place for humans.
Let’s go to Reykjavik, Surtsey.
The super-budget tickets offered by Iceland Air do not include a meal.  I waited until the last second and acquired a couple of cheeseburgers to stow away for later.
The cheeseburgers took longer than expected (I actually waited for boarding to start to head for the Mc Donald’s) and I heard my name called with a few other people.  Door still open!  I’ve been later to an international flight, was not concerned.  the man in front of me must have been new to the experience, he was moving very quickly.
Until now I had only seen these on busses.  Add to the list: Icelandic airplanes.
A snowy, late afternoon departure.
A snowier, early morning arrival.
Denise recommended that I check out Iceland’s bathrooms.  Dryer built into faucet!
Almonds in Iceland, represent.
Who is that?
Ah, yes, Hengill.  Denmark, please?
Excellent, thanks.
Now, find something to do for 8 hours.  Compute, then nap.  Here’s a good place.
Explore.  What might they keep in there?
Only the coolest, most secret bathroom is all.
More computing and a treat.
Even more computing and treats.  Keep an eye on the board, though, only 2 hours to go!
Final plane!
I thought this was cool.
Put to use.
Getting really close!  One more bag, then see the girl!!
There!  There she is!!  Ok, slightly busted here.  I told Denise to pose as if we were just now meeting eyes for the first time in a month.  I meant to have the camera ready but then didn’t.  I suppose it’s somewhat implausible that I would catch her attention for the first time as she holds the bag I brought her…  Next time, do that picture for real.  I bet it will be good.
28ish hours of travel in and one last mode of transport to conquer.  Feelin’ pretty good, actually.  Not sleepy at all.

Denise had all the things figured out.  It was so nice to arrive after such a long trip to be greeted by someone you’re pretty excited about.  And that person had gone ahead and arranged the bus ride, train ride, and handled navigation to our Berlin abode.  How could I be so lucky?  A painless swoop from plane to lofthaus and only one small order of business remained:

Prepare a breakfast kit for two.

No comments:

Post a Comment